Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo

18:30

Shibuya Crossing Tokyo


When people think of Tokyo, one of the first things they think of would have to be the bright neon lights and busy streets of Shibuya. I remember seeing the movie, Lost in Translation about a year before I first went to Japan (about 15 years ago!), and I wanted to have my Lost in Translation moment at Shibuya Crossing ever since. For this reason, of course I needed to include Shibuya crossing in my one day Tokyo itinerary to show my family. After getting a taste of the traditional in Asakusa in the morning, then checking out some cherry blossoms in Ueno Park, we headed for Shibuya. 

Shibuya crossing is the busiest pedestrian crossing in the world, where every 2 minutes thousands of people cross the road to and from Shibuya station in all directions! It's chaos, and I highly recommend experiencing it during your trip to Tokyo. It is also a fantastic spot for photos and a great place to get dinner, and if you're not travelling with children, party the night away in one of the many bars and clubs (which I have done many times before child!). I highly recommend linking hands with your companions so you don't lose them when you're crossing!

Seeing as we had 2 children in tow, we arrived at Shibuya at around 5:30 and headed straight to an izakaya for dinner. After dinner, the sun had set and we could take full advantage of the neon streets for photos before getting the train back home to put the children to bed! I would recommend allocating at least a couple of hours to exploring Shibuya, as the shopping is fantastic (my favourite, Loft has a HUGE store there), with lots of streets to get lost in and lots of food to eat!

Shibuya is one of the liveliest and most exciting places in Tokyo. It's a must visit!
I love Shibuya
Izakaya fun
Izakaya foods

Shibuya streets



My favourite store in the distance - Loft!



Shibuya neon lights


Shibuya Q Front

Shibuya Crossing is a must visit spot in Tokyo!

To get to Shibuya crossing, take the JR line train to Shibuya (we took the Yamanote line from Ueno) and follow signs to the Hachiko exit. As soon as you exit you will know you have arrived!

Have you ever been to Shibuya? What did you think?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've not been to Japan yet but am dying to go. I've heard and seen lots about Shibuya Crossing. It looks like absolute chaos but so so cool to experience. Thank you for sharing.

    The izakaya looks delicious too :)

    www.travelalphas.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely get over here! I've never met anyone that didn't love Japan!

      Delete