A day of Greek food In Melbourne

16:10

Warning, this part of my Melbourne adventure is very food photo heavy. I was attending a pre-conference forum in Federation Square on the Tuesday so it was the perfect chance to do a luxury lunch at The Press Club, which was close by. They have an amazing lunch deal, two courses for $35, or 3 courses for $45, whereas dinner starts at $95 per person. I chose the Spring Horiatiki (I had to ask what that was) for my starter, which was basically a zucchini and squash salad that looked and tasted amazing, and the lamb for my main. You can view the menu in the link above. My colleagues got the beef. The meal also included the fresh bread as a starter and a very Australian Hills Hoist clothes line with tempered chocolate at the end. We also got some sides including the charred broccoli and the Mustard leaf salad.


Treacle bread and another bread with whipped butter and olive oil


Zucchini and Squash salad

Lamb

Beef

Very Aussie - Hills Hoist with chocolate
After the forum I went out to Collingwood to meet my good friend Kate for more Greek food, but more traditional, less fancy, and equally as delicious! We went to the Melbourne institution - Jim's Greek Tavern - which is super busy, lively and tasty. As you can see from the Trip Advisor reviews, this place is love hate. I was desperate for some fried Saganaki cheese because it's not something i've ever seen in Japan, so we had that and octopus to start. Delish! We basically waited forever to order our second course because the place was insanely busy, but Kate and I didn't care because we were too busy catching up on the last year! Finally we flagged down our server and got lamb and Greek Salad because by this stage I was already full (the bottle of sparkling wine might have been a reason) and after that we were done.

Jim's Greek Tavern

Octopus

Saganaki

Obligatory Sparkling wine shot

Lamb

Greek Salad
We walked over to the Workers Club in Fitzroy after dinner for more bubbles and to watch some bands! It was a great night, but it made it very hard to get up for the first day of the conference the next morning! Somehow I managed. I'm just glad the idea to head to Karaoke after the bands didn't happen.....

More bubbles!
Hills Hoist the band!

Parliament

You Might Also Like

0 comments